The Board of Abatement hears your concerns regarding your property assessment after you have met with the Listers. It only has the power to grant abatement if it finds that the taxpayer falls within the statutory criteria of 24 V.S.A. §1535(a).
1. Taxes of persons who have died insolvent.
2. Taxes of persons who have removed from the state.
3. Taxes of persons who are unable to pay their taxes, interest, and collection fees.
4. Taxes in which there is manifest error or a mistake of the Listers.
5. Taxes upon real or personal property lost or destroyed during the tax year.
6. The exemption amount available under 32 V.S.A. §3802(11) to persons otherwise eligible for exemption who file a claim on or after May 1 but before October 1 due to the claimant’s sickness or disability or other good cause as determined by the Board of Abatement; but that exemption amount shall be reduced by 20% of the total exemption for each month or portion of a month the claim is late filed.
7. & 8. (Repealed)
9. Taxes upon a mobile home moved from the town during the tax year as a result of a change in use of the mobile home park land or parts thereof, or closure of the mobile home park in which the mobile home was sited, pursuant to 10 V.S.A. §6237.
The Board of Abatement is comprised of the Justices of the Peace, the Selectboard, the Town Clerk, the Town Treasurer and the Listers. A majority of the total number of these officials (14) must be present to act on any abatement (8).
The Board meets when required at the Town Office.
NOTICE OF BOARD OF ABATEMENT MEETING
The Board of Abatement will meet as follows:
WHEN: June 25, 2019
WHERE: Town Clerk’s Office
TIME: 5:00 PM
AGENDA: 1. To hear two Abatements:
Chris Young and Maria Javanainen
2. Organize the Board
3. Set a date to purge the Checklist
As of 2017, our web site host can only store 3 years of documents. If you are searching for something prior to the years listed below, please contact the town office.
Archive of Board of Abatement Notice of Meeting & Agendas