Morristown VT 15A/15 Project: VT 15A&15 Project Construction Update 6-4-18
RT 100 Construction: Waterbury-Stowe VT 100 Rehabilitation Project
Lamoille County Warming Shelter
This effort started out at St. John’s in the Mountains Episcopal Church in late December, 2017 when the cold snap hit VT. Several congregations, 2nd Congregational Church in Hyde Park, Johnson United Methodist and the Jewish Community Center of Greater Stowe, then joined in the effort and provided shelter at their own place of worship. Since that 1st week, these congregations have been meeting with interested community members and social service agencies to find and provide a permanent shelter to run through the winter months. Currently, we have moved to the Yellow House behind the Opera House in Hyde Park, which is owned by the Sheriff’s Dept. and the dept. has been very generous with their offer of the building and their time.
We are looking for volunteers to help keep the shelter manned until at least April 15th. Our most pressing needs are people to help in the morning hours from 6AM-8AM, and evening hours between 5:30PM-8PM. We ask people to use an online volunteer sign up site so that they can pick and choose which dates might work for them. We also have a dinner provider position open for volunteers who would like to drop off food, but these positions have been easier to fill than the shifts that mean more volunteer hours. Those not comfortable signing up online can contact Emily @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here sign up to volunteer for the Lamoille Shelter .
Morning Helper: Relieve the Overnight Volunteer at 6AM. The guest start waking up at 7AM, so there may not be much to do for an hour. Bring a computer or book. Make coffee, help with breakfast (cereal, oatmeal..all provided), and help the guests tidy up their things should they be leaving items behind because they will be returning. Guest should be on their way by 8AM. Return key to the Sheriff’s Dept.
Evening Helper: This job includes opening the house, (keyless entry information will be provided), turning up the heat, and simply waiting for guests to arrive. Guests and volunteers will need to sign into the appropriate documents. If there is a dinner provider then you can help to warm up food and serve. If there is not a dinner provider then we have leftovers and frozen food. It is typically a mellow shift, but very needed. At 8PM, the Overnight Volunteer will relieve you.
Organizations supported by Eden residents through an annual appropriation at Town Meeting:
- American Red Cross
- Central Vermont Adult Basic Education, Inc.
- Central Vermont Community Action Council
- Central Vermont Council on Aging
- Clarina Howard Nichols Center
- Lamoille Community Food Share, Inc.
- Lamoille County Court Diversion Restorative Justice Programs, Inc.
- Lamoille County Mental Health Services
- Lamoille County Planning Commission
- Lamoille Economic Development Corporation
- Lamoille Family Center
- Lamoille Home Health & Hospice
- Lamoille Housing Partnership, Inc.
- Meals On Wheels of Lamoille County
- North Country Animal League
- Northern VT Resource Conservation and Development Council
- Retired and Senior Volunteer Program/Volunteer Center of Central Vermont and the Northeast Kingdom
- Rural Community Transportation, Inc.
- Vermont Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Vermont Center for Independent Living